Thursday 16 May 2013

My Tree



The screaming sound of a chainsaw 
rips through the spring air 
I stand by the window 
and watch my tree
The tree that I grew up with 
who grew older with me 
The tree that sat in my backyard 
since the day we had moved into the house
The tree whose dead leaves we raked up in the fall 
and whose green buds we admired in the spring 
The first tree I ever climbed to the top of 
and the first tree I ever fell out of 
The tree that held my swing and me 
through summer, spring, and fall 
The tree whose roots were intwined 
with a graveyard of past pets 
The tree that housed a dove’s nest for three years straight 
and sent six little doves out into the world 
The tree my cat found his way up into 
and who I had to rescue 
The tree that gently swayed in the ocean breeze 
which sent a rustle through the leaves
The tree for squirrel meetings 
and evening owl perches 
The tree whose shade sheltered me
on those sunny sumer days 
The tree that was such a part of my life 
that I couldn’t ever imagine not having it in my yard
So as I watched it fall to the ground with a sickening thud
I knew a part of my life would be forever missing 

1 comment:

  1. Great use of repetition in this poem. I also like how you took a simple act, the cutting down of a tree, and associated a lifetime of memories with it.

    ReplyDelete