Saturday 30 March 2013

The Road: Movie vs. Book


I found I was equally disappointed with the movie version of The Road as I was by the book itself. The movie did however hold pretty true and close to the book. It left parts out and added in more details to make the movie make more sense. As well as adding in more detailed and descriptive flashbacks. A huge difference was that the movie was narrated by the man, where is the book is in third person omniscient. Having the movie narrated by the man actually made the story easier to follow and I actually liked it a lot more. It was a little hard to watch at times, seeing the very disturbing scenes is very different from reading them. Visually the movie was pretty powerful, the whole film had a very grey and foggy tint to it, making it seem like a real post-apocalyptic world. The only things that had color were fires, and the food, which seems symbolic in a way. The things that are keeping the man and the boy alive are the things that radiate color. Overall I did like the movie as a visual element, but I was still disappointed with how it dragged and its predictability (part of that was the fact that I had read the book, but still..). Both the book and the movie had a lot of potential, but I was ultimately let down. 

1 comment:

  1. I am sorry that you were disappointed. I hope your next selection makes you very happy.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete